A chimney or flue fire occurs when the build-up of creosote gets hot enough to burn. The fire can spread from the chimney or flue through cracks, loose mortar, small separations in flue pipe, and/or loose or missing flue caps or screens and get into the wall partitions or onto the roof.
- Loud roaring, popping noises.
- Sparks and flames shooting from the chimney/flue top.
- Stove and/or stove pipe vibrating.
WHAT TO DO:
- Don’t panic.
- Call 9-1-1 before trying to put out the fire.
- Close damper(s). If the stove is airtight, keep the door closed to cut off the air supply to the firebox.
- If it’s not airtight, and if the fire in the firebox is small, one might attempt to use a chemical fire extinguisher to slow the fire.
- NEVER use water – the stove could crack if too hot.
- Check the roof for sparks and fire spread.
NOTE: Any time there is a chimney or flue fire call 9-1-1. Even if you feel you have the problem under control. There could be fire that has extended into your walls, attic or roof.